"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Friday, November 21, 2014

Doubts of a New Unschooler


So, if you've been following along for any length of time, you may know that we made the decision to start unschooling a few weeks ago.  And, you can find the success of our first week of unschooling on the blog as well.  Truly, we had an amazing first week, y'all!

Even a pretty great second week.

And then.

I. Got. In. The. Way.

I guess I couldn't stop myself!  Two weeks of sitting on my hands, biting my tongue turned out to be my limit.  My check-off-the-box, make-a-list alter ego came bursting out with a vengeance.

Don't get me wrong.  It started off pretty slowly.  You know, Bug HAD just had a birthday.  There WERE Thank You notes that needed to be written.  And, truthfully, I DID have all of these neat unit studies and lap books just sitting there on the shelves, mocking me.

And Bug hadn't voluntarily done anything that could even vaguely be considered math in ten days.

And that put me over the edge.  So I just made a few notes, with just a couple of "basics" written down that I probably wanted us to get to throughout the course of the day.

Except.

Those few basics took us all morning.  And there was complaining.  And bad attitudes.  And way less freedom and fun.

And I had forgotten the whole reason / concept / purpose behind this unschool nonsense--which was to re-instill a love of learning.  To give my children freedom to learn about things THEY were interested in.  To take the pressure off of ourselves and trust in God and in the process.

Luckily, I have a couple of really wise ladies who patiently listen to me vent, and who then point me in the right direction--which usually includes me closely looking at myself and what I want.

It's not about me.  It's time for me to get out of my own way and find His way.

"Thus saith the Lord; 'Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.' "  (Jeremiah 17:5)

Today is a new day.  This week I let go again and trusted and followed.  This was a great week.

(But the math thing is going to be the death of me...)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...