"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thankful on Thursday


Today, I am thankful for the blessing that is homeschooling.  Let me start by saying that I know it is not a choice that all families can, or want to, make, but for us, I think it is one of the best choices that our family has made.

I am thankful for the ability to let my children sleep when they are tired, and not fight with sleepy kids to get them ready to get out the door.  Especially when we have been at a soccer tournament all weekend out of town and got home very, very late.

I am thankful for the time I get to spend with my kiddos.  Even when they are cranky and fighting all day.  My oldest is in public school this year, and we don't get to see her very much.  We all miss her.

I am thankful for the homeschooling community in our town.  For our community Facebook page, and veteran homeschool Mommas who patiently answer questions, and park playgroups practically every day.

I am thankful for the friends my kiddos have made--quality friendships, forged by lots of time spent together at those park playgroups, or "pool school days", or just hanging out time because us Mommas needed a break.

I am thankful for the Bible knowledge that is being imparted to my children.  By me, yes, but also by the "village" they belong to.  Community Bible Studies, friends asking for and giving prayers, living examples of being Christlike that is exhibited around them everyday.  (And, no, unfortunately, I don't mean by me.  I'm working on it...)

I am thankful for the freedom to be able to give my children time.  Time to explore, time to play, time to learn.  Time to themselves, time with each other, time with me, time with Christ.  That also means time to be who they are supposed to be.  Extra time to learn math facts if they need it.  Time to sit at the breakfast table and read for an hour.  Time to make a delivery to the Food Pantry, or to sit with a sick friend, or to make a dinner for another family who is going through rough times.  Time to serve.

This "one year at a time" experiment is in its sixth year, and, truth be told, I'm not in any hurry to end it.  I know one day it won't be the best fit for us.  But for now, today, I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Great things to be thankful for! I, too, am grateful for homeschooling. Even as a working parent, I love the closeness it gives my family. My husband and I both school our kids and the kids say they never want to go back to traditional school because they have the best teachers ever. That alone is a reason for us to keep making this work. Thank God for opening my eyes to the endless possibilities in learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful testimony for your home and your homeschool. Great work! I think it's wonderful to be able to hear that from your children.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...