"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

In Remembrance

My Aunt Donna and I, on my Baptism Day

My Aunt Donna died yesterday.  She was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer less than a month ago.  Mother's Day, actually, would be a month since her diagnosis, I believe.

In some ways, my "growing up" family was a bit of a mess.  My mother and I haven't spoken in years.  And with the disintegration of that relationship, I lost others as well.  My aunts, uncles, and cousins were some casualties of that endless battle.

But I do have memories...

I remember my Aunt Donna's laugh.

I remember watching her get dressed up to go "out on the town".

I remember that she was my godmother.

I remember hurting her feelings once when I was a child.

I remember her listening for my answer when she asked me how I was.

I remember how my cousins loved her and how much she loved them back.

I remember her dancing at my wedding.

Other things, too...

I remember slicing my head open on her television when I was being chased by my cousin (who will probably still deny it!)

I remember "spying" on her and my mother from behind the couch--bet they never knew we were there!

I can hear her voice calling me by my childhood nickname--which I hated.

I remember what a rock she was when my grandfather died.

I wish I had stayed in contact with my Aunt Donna.  I hope she knows that I remember, and that I cherish my memories of her.  I pray that I will see her again one day so I can tell her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...