"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Study in Psalms...Psalm 127...Part One


"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.
In vain you rise early and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat--for He grants sleep to those He loves.

Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127

In vain = without success or a result, unsuccessfully, to no purpose, fruitlessly

Wow.

I don't know about you, but it feels as if much of my life is "in vain" right now.

Laundry.  Over and over and over again.  Cooking meals that no one will eat.  Endless carpooling back and forth.  

Multiplication tables.

Teaching, instructing, praying, disciplining.  All of it going on all day, every day, without seeing much fruit in the lives of my children.

Fruitlessly.  In vain.

Maybe, then, I am doing something wrong.  

See, here in Psalm 127, Solomon writes, "unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain." 

I am laboring in vain.

I can work and work and work, cook and clean and teach and yell and instruct and drive, but evidently I need to start out by letting the Lord build the house.

I need to let Him watch over my city.

Starting each day by asking Him what He wants me to do, asking Him to bless my day so I can bless someone else, asking Him to lead me.

Do I trust Him enough to ask Him to do this?

Do you?

Would you like to see the rest of this series?





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...