"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Study in Psalms...Psalm 12



Help, Lord, for the godly are no more;  
the faithful have vanished from among men.
Everyone lies to his neighbor;
their flattering lips speak with deception.

May the Lord cut off all flattering lips
and every boastful tongue
that says, "We will triumph with our tongues;
we own our lips--who is our master?"

"Because of the oppression of the weak
and the groaning of the needy,
I will now arise," says the Lord.
"I will protect them from those who malign them."
And the words of the Lord are flawless,
like silver refined in a furnace of clay,
purified seven times.

O Lord, you will keep us safe
and protect us from such people forever.
The wicked freely strut about
when what is vile is honored among men.
--Psalm 12

Man, that David.  He was one smart dude.

Historically, David is said to have penned this psalm during the time of King Saul, when there seemed to be a lack of honest, faithful men in the world.  David was not in the majority for his beliefs.  Lies, treachery, immorality was everywhere.

Hmm, sound familiar?

David wrote this when he was feeling very much alone in his world.  He spends the first part of the psalm reminding God of the lies and sins of his fellow men, and asking the Lord for help as he (David) tries to live among men who are living in that way.

Hmm, sound familiar?

There isn't a day that goes by lately that doesn't end with me having said, at least once, to myself or one of my children, "Remember, God wants us to be IN the world, not OF the world."  Or another, my personal favorite and my teen's least favorite, "I don't want you to be normal.  We aren't normal.  I want more for you than that."

Living OF the world today is terrifying to me.  Everywhere we turn, young actors / actresses / singers / "entertainers" are taking off their clothes to "shock" people into paying attention to them.  Others are abusing drugs and alcohol and racing cars while drunk.  Cursing and sleeping around are perfectly acceptable on prime time television.  Sexting is a "normal" activity for middle and high school teens. People aren't getting married with the expectation that it is forever.  I pass a billboard every day that extols the danger of sex trafficking through online activities.  On and on and on and on...

This is the world we live in.  This seems to be the "new normal".

That doesn't mean it is what I want for myself, for my children, for my loved ones.

I want truth.  I want moral behavior.  I want pure, flawless, unchanging words to follow, that help me to keep my eyes on the grand prize--for when it's all said and done.

It's not the popular choice, and sadly, it's not "normal" any more, but it seems to be the same thing David was crying out to his Lord for:  "Help, Lord, for the godly are no more".  He felt like he was alone, unpopular, not normal.

But David was never alone.  God was there with him, every step of the way.  And God also provided for other believers to continue to live in the world, following His law and His words.

That's what we need to remember, ladies and gentlemen.  Although we may live IN a world where "the wicked freely strut about", and "what is vile is honored among men", we are not OF that world.

God's Word is flawless, pure, refined.  That is what we are to keep our eyes on.

You are not alone.


Have you written about the book of Psalms?  Feel free to link up your post here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...