"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Five Days of Homeschooling Essentials...Prayer

5 Days of Homeschooling Essentials

I'm going to tell you all something.

Homeschooling?  It's not easy.

Some days, in fact, it's really, really hard.  And exhausting.  And "I've-been-through-the-wringer-and-it's-only-ten-in-the-morning" tough.

When I first started entertaining the idea of homeschooling my kiddos, I didn't expect the hard part, truly.  I wondered if I would be able to handle the lesson planning, keeping the house clean, etc... But I figured that the actual everyday, homeschooling part would be the fun and easy part.

Ha.

Let me say that again--Ha!

There are some days when it's easy.  There are many, many days when it's fun.

But there are some days when it's neither of those.


And those are the days when I really need to rely on the first of my homeschooling "essentials"--Prayer.  Lots and lots and lots of prayer.  

When we were first called to homeschool, I was a new "baby" Christian.  I had been through Catholic sacraments, Church every Sunday, Catholic schools, Young Life youth groups, Sunday School.  But I was not truly aware of God's presence in my life, and His greater plan for me.

Five years of homeschooling has started to make it all clear.  He is here.  He is an everyday part of my life, my family's life, and our homeschool.  And on the days seasons that I forget that, things seem to fall apart at the seams.  Quickly.

This year, I have tried to start every day in prayer.  Prayers of thankfulness for the blessings that we have--not the least of which is being able to homeschool.  Prayers for patience.  Prayers for wisdom and discernment and the will to follow His lead.  Prayers for self-control for a certain little girl who struggles every day.  Prayers for integrity for a little boy who is trying to find his way along in the world.  Prayers for maturity for a young teen who is being faced with more grown-up decisions.

And prayers for me.  That I teach my kiddos God's lessons.  That I don't lose it when they tantrum over the math one. more. time.  That my screaming that I do when I do lose it won't massively scar them for life.  That I show enthusiasm for the one millionth story about Skylanders or Minecraft.  That we make it through the tough.

So far, we have.  We've made it and I might have two girls who are a bit "behind" in math, and a boy who hates to write.  But I also have three kiddos who know way more about God and His promises than I did even when I was way older than they are.  They are sweet and can use their manners (sometimes even without threats), and they are happy (mostly), and they are loud and messy and fun.

I think we are going to continue to make it through.  But not without the prayers.


Now, I am very aware that there are plenty of secular homeschooling families out there who don't feel the need to rely on God as I do.  And that's fine for them.  Honestly.  I am not here to judge or preach or demonize.  I'm just telling you what are essentials in our homeschool.

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."  Joshua 24:15b

This post is part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew's 5 Days of Homeschooling Essentials.  Please, please make sure to head over to check out what some of my Crewmates are talking about and the essentials that they can't live (or homeschool) without...

Heather @ Thrift Schooling
Lori @ Special Connection Homeschool

Other essentials that I'll be talking about later this week are my hubby's support, flexibility, and my kiddo's must-haves.  Make sure to stop by later this week...

2 comments:

  1. We had to stop yesterday and pray again. :-) I always try to do it if we're having a rough start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked writing this post, because it reminded me how often I need to pray and I forget to do it. But it definitely makes the day run more smoothly, doesn't it?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...