"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Friday, January 24, 2014

Five Days of Homeschooling Essentials...My Kiddos' Essentials


5 Days of Homeschooling Essentials

Well, here we are--at the last of the Five Days of Homeschooling Essentials series put on by The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew.  This week, I have joined up with almost ninety other homeschooling bloggers to give you some insight on what we consider "must haves" in our homeschools.

So far this week, I've touched on the power of prayer, the power of a supportive husband, and the power of flexibility.  Really, those are my top three absolutely-can't-get-through-this-withouts.

So for this last post, I decided to go directly to the source(s) to see if I had missed anything...

Without further ado, here are the top ideas from my homeschoolers:

Question:  "What do you think is the most important part of homeschooling?"

"Pencils.  Lots of pencils.  Ones that erase and can always be sharp.  And a cat."  --Turtle, age 13 (and budding comedienne...)


"Co-op.  And CBS.  And American Girl Book Club.  And playdates."  --Firefly, age 11 (and social butterfly...)

"CBS because we learn about God.  And math." --Bug, age 7 (and obviously not from our genes, since he is the one person in this house who doesn't cry over math regularly...)

What did I learn from this little interview?

1.  Make sure you have enough pencils in your home.  And a set place for them, close to the sharpener.  And when you find a favorite kind, buy it in bulk.  It's taken us five years, but we finally have the pencil thing figured out, and not having a pencil is no longer a valid excuse.

2.  Pets always add an element of fun into homeschooling.  And an element of mess--but remember my flexibility post?

3.  You may have children who crave socializing like it's heroin.  I have one of those--and I am so NOT one of those.  I have to make sure to not just cater to my introverted self and ignore Firefly's need for interacting with her friends, her acquaintances, or really just anyone who happens to look her way and talk to her.  She needs that.  And since I'm the grown-up, I have to make sure she has an opportunity for it.


4.  Two of my kiddos specifically mentioned CBS, which is our Community Bible Study that we do once a week.  With this, I am reminded once again that God needs to be an integral part of our homeschool.  When we put Him first, we do better.  We enjoy each other more.  And we learn the really important things.

5.  And math?  I don't even know where to go with that one...

I hope you've enjoyed this series of posts.  I know it's been a lot of fun to think about, write about, and read about on my end.  Please make sure to take a peek at what some of my friends are writing about as the series wraps up, and, let me know:

What are your homeschooling essentials?  Have you ever asked your kiddos what theirs are?

Heather @ Thrift Schooling

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I'm fairly certain my middle daughter who is only 3 right now will also be a social butterfly. I am also an introvert, but I know she is going to need more interaction with others than I do! I will definitely have to make sure to cater to that need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard, isn't it? And it seems to be harder for me to make us go out the older I get! Please make sure to try to balance it, so you don't wear yourself out. An exhausted, stressed out momma is no good for anyone.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, pencils. Yes, I try to keep (a bunch) on hand, at all time! Love the matching AG doll dress, too cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...