"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Study in Psalms...Starting At The Beginning




A few months ago, a friend talked to me about starting to read the Books of Psalms and Proverbs.  To be honest, I can't remember which friend it was, or in which context we were talking about Bible Study, but the idea stuck with me.  After rolling it around in my mind for a bit, and one day finally "having time" to do it, (because, busy Mommas, aren't we always "too busy" to give time to those "non-essentials"?), I opened up my Bible to Psalm One.

And was drawn in.  Right away.

I knew I was on to something here.  These readings were so full of beauty, and turmoil, and heartache, and grace, and gratefulness, and on and on and on.  I wasn't sure how I had missed them before.

See, I grew up going to church every Sunday.  I served in Church, went to church-based schools, youth groups and Bible camps, and went through all of the traditional ceremonies and rituals required of me.  Growing up, I thought I had a relationship with God.

Now that I'm older, I know better.  Or, at least, I know more.  I know enough more to know that there is so much that I don't know or won't ever understand.  But I also know that I was given a wonderful gift by my Father that teaches me about Him, about His will for me, and about how to grow closer to Him.

That gift is His Word.

And I am definitely a newbie when it comes to studying it.

But what better place to start than in Psalms?

I invite you to join in with me as I spend this year breathing in the Psalms.  I'm sure that many of you are much more well-versed in them then I am, and I would love to benefit from your experience and expertise.  But, if any of you out there are "beginners", like me, please consider coming along for the ride.  You'll be hooked, I promise, and we can travel on the road side by side.

I'll be here, each second and fourth Wednesday of the month, delving deeper into some of the verses that are touching my heart.  Like these, from the very beginning of the Book:

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season, and whose leaf does not wither."
I want to delight in the law of the Lord, and I want to take you with me!

Do you have a favorite Psalm?  Do you have a favorite book of the Bible?  If you have a post about it, please feel free to link up below.  If you're not a blogger and want to join in, please feel free to leave a comment!  I'd love to share this with you!

3 comments:

  1. Nicole~
    Thanks for the email and for sharing your heart here!


    Looking fwd to visiting and linking next time...grabbed your button for my sidebar.

    Take care, Nicole..
    Peace
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalms and Proverbs are both wonderful. I actually have a single book of each that is divided into daily reading throughout the year; I should dig those out again. You always find more every time you read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so blessed through studying Psalms. Really, I should have done it before. I'd love to know more about your book.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...