"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our Curriculum...2013-2014!!!


I LOVE this time of year!  All of the new books are so clean and shiny, and there is nothing but excitement (on my part, at least) about the new school year coming up.  I know from experience that it's not nearly so exciting in say, October, but for now, the giddiness is just sooooo wonderful!

Here is what we have chosen to use in our homeschool this year...


Math:  Teaching Textbooks.  Turtle will be finishing up TT7 and heading straight into Pre-Algebra.  If we get really ambitious, we will try to get in some Algebra I, since she would like to have it done before she starts 9th grade, but we'll see...

History:  Since Turtle is set on going into the public school system next year for high school, I'm feeling some pressure to close any "gaps" in her learning.  (Yes, I know there is no such thing, but I'm good at putting pressure on myself.  It makes me more comfortable, lol!)  So this year we will be reading through The Story of the World.  All. Four. Volumes.
Eek!
At least, that's the plan.

Geography:  It's finally time to get through those pesky states and capitals.  We will be using Memoria Press States and Capitals.  And a lot of memory work.

Science:  Turtle will be included in a co-op this year (yes, I know.  I'm doing it to myself again.)  One of the subjects she'll be doing through the co-op is Apologia Biology.  There are lots of wonderful things about this.  First, she will be with some good friends.  Second, I don't have to teach Biology.  And third, when she has to dissect things, (which she doesn't know about yet), it won't be with me!  Plus, she will go into high school with a Biology I credit under her belt.  Yay for co-op this year!

Bible:  We will be doing Community Bible Study again this year, studying the book of Romans.

Literature:  Yay for co-op again!  World Literature will be taken care of through this class.

Grammar:  We will be using various workbooks and daily practice-type websites to keep her grammar fresh.  She's been through two years of Classical Conversations Essentials program, so she has a great grasp on it all already.

Extras:  I am blessed to be on the TOS Review Crew, so there are always fun things for us to review and take a look at.  As these come up, Turtle will use them.  She is also going to continue with competitive soccer, as well as her photography.  All three kiddos will be taking art class this year, too!


Math:  Teaching Textbooks, again.  I've found it's just better to remove myself from the whole math deal as much as possible, especially as my daughters like to fight and cry about it.  We will also be using some Life of Fred here and there.

History / Literature:  Back to my tried and true, Heart of Dakota!  This year, Firefly will be working through Preparing Hearts for His Glory, which is a one-year historical overview of Creation to present day.  I'm so excited to be getting back to this with her!!

Geography:  Firefly, Bug, and I will also be working on the United States this year.  I'm not completely sure what we're going to use for this--there's just so much out there!  But since I've used Expedition Earth before successfully, we'll probably just go ahead and use Erica's United States Geography as well.

Science:  Unit Studies, Unit Studies, Unit Studies!  We will be continuing with Amanda Bennett's series because it's just been so successful with Firefly so far.  And yes, I am aware that it covers WAY more than Science, but don't tell Firefly!  We will use it in our Science slot each day and then just let her figure it out...
She will also be enrolled in co-op, where they will be studying inventors, physical science (yuk!), and anatomy.

Bible:  Community Bible Study here, too!

Language Arts:  We have been so blessed by so many of the review products we've received--and we're using lots of them here!  For writing, we will use Institute for Excellence in Writing's Student Writing Intensive A.  For Grammar, Essentials in Writing--we will finish the 4th grade level and then move into the 5th grade--the grammar portion only.  And for Spelling, we will continue with All About Spelling--finishing Level 2 and beginning Level 3.

Extras:  What won't she be doing?  Co-op also offers composer study, she will continue with competitive soccer, and will be taking art class.  American Girl Book Club is another activity that will be filling up her calendar, as well as playdates, doctor's appointments, and therapy.  
She also is my joiner, so whatever comes up, she wants to do.  She will only be limited by my interest or ability to get her where she wants to go, lol!


Math:  Bug will be finishing up Math Mammoth First Grade (thank you again, TOS Crew!), and then will switch back over to A+ for Second Grade Math.  We are also working through Life of Fred:  Apples.  Mostly because he likes to mix it up and also because that's what I have!

History / Literature:  Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory.  This will cover beginning American History and it looks like tons of fun!

Geography:  United States, with his sister.

Science:  Yep, this one is a toss-up.  I'm thinking of using the Science in Heart of Dakota, and I'm thinking of using Unit Studies, and I'm thinking of trying some Apologia.  I don't really know where we're going to go here...

Bible:  My Bug is finally old enough to go into the "big boy" class at Community Bible Study!  He will be studying Romans along with the rest of us.

Language Arts / Phonics:  We have been using Explode the Code, which he is starting to whine about.  I bought Rod and Staff from a friend, and frankly, I'm pretty confused about that whole thing.  I think we may end up just continuing Explode the Code.  For Spelling, he will start with All About Spelling Level 1, and for "Grammar", we may look at First Language Lessons.

Extras:  Bug will also be doing co-op, with physical science and composer study.  He wants to try flag football and baseball, and he will keep doing Boys Book Club.

This is such an exciting time of year!  What's on your bookshelves for curriculum this year?  Link up below or just tell us in your comments.  I can't wait to virtually peek into your school planning!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting! I love curriculum link ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It's mostly just a way for me to justify being nosy, haha!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to stop bye again when I have finalized our curriculum, but it sounds like we are doing a lot of the same for 1st Grade! Have not purchased, but planning on Heart of Dakota (Beyond), too! I've had my son do ETC for the past year and he isn't a big fan, either. I don't have another reading program in place... just reading and AAS helps with phonics, too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know how you guys end up doing with some of the same things. Make sure to come back and let me know...I may head over to ETC Online and check that out. Bug loves him some computer time, lol!

      Delete
  3. I think we will be using AAS for my 1st grader too. I don't know what co-op classes we are having yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just started his AAS today. So far, so good! And he knew more than I thought he did. (Of course, right?!)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you guys have a full plate. :) Looks like it's shaping up to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, making the transition to public school, you may want to get Turtle ready for longer days, taking class notes, timed test, waking up really early, staying up late to do homework, and meeting tons of new people. Joining clubs will be a great way to meet new kids in school. My kids did the opposite, started in regular school and asked to be homeschooled, lol! It's good you are giving Turtle options. Public school worked out well for my oldest children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that. We had a miserable experience trying public school for middle school, so I'm anxiously looking forward to high school. I'll make sure to offer the club suggestion to her when the time comes. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a great year!! LA has been one of those hard to fit subjects for us too. Hope you find what works for your little one.

    Popping in from the NBTSBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to visit! We just started ETC Online--that may be the fit we were looking for. Have a great school year!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great, fun year!!! We will be using several of these also.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...