"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Upside Down Prayers for Parents. A Book Review...

Do you pray for your children when you have your daily talk with God? If you are like me, you pray for them EVERY day, diligently, and feverishly. But, also if you're like me, you pray for their safety, for their happiness, for their hearts to know His.

I thought that was the way to do it, and those are surely things i want for my kiddos.

But then I read a book that changed my way of thinking: Upside-Down Prayers for Parents, by Lisa T. Bergren. It is a devotional book full of prayers that sound a little different. For example: "I pray you'll weep...", "I pray you'll get so weary you give up...", and "I pray you'll know fear...".

What?!

The key to this lies in the "rest of the story".

"I pray you'll weep...and feel free to express both tears of anguish and tears of joy."

"I pray you'll get so weary you give up...and learn that with submission comes strength."

"I pray you'll know fear...and find courage in living with God beside you."

Upside-Down prayers, indeed! To truly know our Savior by trusting Him through our trials only comes about when we have trials!

There are 31 prayers included in this book, and each includes a small write-up, a prayer addressing each subject, a section titled "making it personal", and a section about "making it relevant".

Making it personal asks us as parents to look into our own lives and the choices we have made. We can get closer with God by examining these things in our lives, even as we try to address them in our child's. Making it relevant gives us questions to use to open discussions with our children about each topic, and is divided into sections for older and for younger children.

I truly enjoyed going through this devotional, and having some of my ideas turned upside down. This next time I'm going to go through it with my teenager, and help her understand why I'm praying the way I am.

 I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.  All opinions stated are mine.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...