"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

G is for God's Grace. A Nudge and Some Pumpkin Muffins...


"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."  1 Peter 4:10

(Trust me, they look way better in person than in the picture!)

I am a Christian.  Not only that, I am a Catholic, semi-practicing.  I grew up in Catholic schools, receiving sacraments and going to Church every Sunday.  I went to youth groups, Young Life, and school retreats.

I read my Bible, say my prayers, go to Bible Study.  I teach my kids about Jesus and what He and God have done for us.  We do devotions, we try to do good works, we thank God for what He has given us.

I've never really heard God talk back.

Or so I thought.

Today was different.

I got up when I got up.  Didn't set the alarm, didn't get out of bed when hubby did.  Checked email first thing, which I'm recognizing is a bad, bad habit.  Decided I had enough time to work out.

Slowly got dressed.  Messed around with Facebook a little bit (another bad, bad habit).  Set up a "breakfast bar" for the kiddos for if they woke up while I was working out.

Pumpkin muffins (made last night, grudgingly), applesauce, and juice.

Started a load of laundry, messed around a little in the garage, and FINALLY started working out.

Today's workout had some running in it--short sprints that forced me to run outside and around the corner a few times.  (P.S.  I hate running.)

On short run #3, I noticed the man in the truck that comes around once a week to pick up yard waste in our neighborhood.  

We've made friends, Mr. Yard Waste Man and I.  He's a wonderful, cheerful man who I've talked to a time or two.  He's complimented me on our house color.  He's "God Bless"-d me.

Today he made a comment about how he needs to start exercising--"maybe on Saturday!".  I made a comment about how much fun it wasn't.  And we said "good-bye".  And then I turned the corner.

And then I got the Nudge.  It popped right into my head, from nowhere.  "Bring him some pumpkin muffins."

WHAT?!

But once it was in there, it didn't go away.  No matter how much I bargained or tried to ignore it.  I mean, the request was pretty weird.  "Maybe he'll be gone when I turn back around."  "Why would he eat food a stranger gives him?"  "It's just a weird thing to do".

I turned the corner again.  He was still on our street.  I asked him to stop for a minute and ran inside.  Bug and I then delivered him two pumpkin muffins.

Wanna know what he said?

"Oh, that's so great!  I didn't get a chance to stop or get any breakfast this morning!  Thank you so much!  Man, that's a God thing right there!"

You know what?  It so was!

God did talk to me.  And He has before, too, looking back.  I've just not been listening.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for not listening.  Please extend me your grace, and help me to hear you from today forward.  I want to hear Your voice and follow Your ways.  Thank you for sending this lesson to me today.  Next time, I will bring a drink, too.

Blogging Through the Alphabet

4 comments:

  1. I love this!! Thank you for sharing your real-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT God story! I love it when I hear God's voice and then actually OBEY it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm hoping I get to recognize and listen to it more...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...