"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Monday, February 18, 2013

Faith, Anxiety, and Ski Lifts

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  Phillipians 4:6

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  Hebrews 11:1

 So what on earth do those two Bible verses have to do with this picture??!

I had a really interesting vacation this past week.

We took a short trip to the North Carolina mountains to spend some time in the snow and to ski, ice skate, tube, and just generally be weird Floridians who like to see snow on their vacation and come back home to eighty degree weather.

(Thank you, God, for eighty degree weather!)

But I digress...

And, I think I mentioned before we left, I am really, really scared of mountains.

And mountain roads.

And ski lifts.

Terrified of ski lifts.

And of my children being on them.

I have a bit of an anxiety problem in general, see, and then when you throw in ice and snow and cold and mountains and way-up-high ski lifts with not-nearly-enough-way-to-hold-my-child-in bars, I can be a mess.

An ugly, shaking, anxious mess.  (REAL again here...)

But my hubby and my kids all LOVE snow, and winter, and skiing, and mountains, and, of course, ski lifts, which I kept being told was a necessary evil of the ski slopes, but oh well...

So this year this Momma went along for the ride and decided to do things a little differently.

See, I think I told you I was just a baby Christian (despite Catholic schools and youth groups and church attendance, etc).  I am just learning how absolutely amazing My Father is, and how He wants to make a difference in MY life.

Me!  Little old me, white knuckles and all!

So this year, as we got close to the mountain roads, I pulled out my Bible Study.

While we drove up (and up and up) to the cabin, we sang along with Christian praise music.

And in the morning (and night and mealtime and in the shower and especially on the slopes and in the lifts), I prayed.

I prayed for our safety.

I prayed for my children and hubby to enjoy themselves.

And I prayed for God to take on my anxiety, and to help me strengthen my faith--my faith that He was in control.  

That He had a plan.

That all things work together for good for those who believe in Him.

By the end of the third day (yes, THREE days, because evidently I am the only Floridian in my family who thinks that might be a bit too much snow...), we had hit every beginner slope and most of the intermediate slopes.

My Bug, age 6, was flying down those hills and had perfected his "pizza".  He was coaching me on the best ski technique.

My Firefly, age 10, was teaching herself to ski backwards.

My Turtle, age 12, had fallen over and over and NOT hurt herself.

And I rode ski lifts.

With my hubby AND alone, with eyes closed AND eyes open, with my Bug AND my (beautiful but oh-so-impulsive) Firefly.

With God.

With Faith.

Without Fear.

(See?  Even with a smile!)

I still think it will be quite a while before I'm ready to go again, but I will be ready to go again.

I'm not going it alone...I have the most wonderful tour guide!

Thank you, God, for your perfect love.  Thank you for listening, for giving, and for taking away.


7 comments:

  1. Yes. Parenthood can be a minefield of fears...what I've found is that the things that I anticipate and worry about tend to not happen. The unexpected, never anticipated things, the ones I can't possibly plan for myself, those get me every time and force me to surrender my delusion of control...sending me blubbering to His feet. I'm not good at it. Not at all. But I'm learning.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you for "getting it"! You're right--this parenthood thing is just really, really hard sometimes. My goal is to try to lessen all of the worry--with some amazing help...

      Delete
  2. I was born in those mountains of North Carolina, so I know how scary those roads (and ski lifts) are! I enjoyed your post! It is a great reminder to lean on Him in ALL situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April--and thank you for letting me know I wasn't totally irrational about all of the high-up-mountain-stuff!

      Delete
  3. I am not big on tons of snow, and I have never been skiing. I'd feel the same way on a lift I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy I can so relate :) Thank you for sharing your heart. I've been struggling with anxiety of late .....

    PS I have nominated you for: The Homeschool Blogging Liebster Award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chareen, thank you so much! Hopefully learning to lessen the anxiety over this particular situation will spread over to the everyday--we'll see! I'll get working on the award particulars...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...