"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Friday, November 2, 2012

What I Learned This Week...

Sometimes, I am really not nearly as smart as I think I am.

Sometimes, as long as it isn't math (lol), Turtle, at 12, is much smarter than I am.  

And I can say this since she won't be reading my blog anytime soon!

Perfect example, earlier this week.  Picture this:  it is THAT hour--you know, the one between dinner time and bed time, when much of the household is winding down, but the rest of the household--those under 13--are just winding up.

I was tired, hubby was tired, and we just really wanted a peaceful minute or ten.  Not much to ask, right?

Yeah, OK.

For some reason, Firefly was seriously amped up.  Can't sit still, rolling somersaults off of the couch, doing everything she can to pick a fight amped up.

I, great mom that I am, recognized that she needed some serious sensory input to get her back in control.

I, horrible mom that I am, yelled at her to "go figure out something to do before you get yourself in trouble".

Again, with the honesty here.

I actually think I MAY have suggested her Body Sox, which she eventually decided to go get and put on.
Then, Firefly thought it would be a good idea to run (such as it was) through the house, screaming, in said Body Sox.

Not such a great thing for really tired Mommies and Daddies to listen to.

And then Turtle stepped in.

She invented a game for them to play.  Something along the lines of why-don't-you-carry-me-on-your-back-while-you-are-running-through-the-house-in-your-Body-Sox.

My Mommy Brain yelled out "someone is going to get seriously hurt", "bad, bad idea", "why is it still so loud in here", and "I am so, so tired".

Thankfully, my Mommy Brain recognized the need to keep my mouth shut and only think those thoughts to myself.

Turtle's spur-of-the-moment game became a life-saver--for all of us!

(Hard to tell, but that is a huge smile under the Body Sox!)

Turtle climbed on Firefly, Firefly climbed on Turtle, Bug joined in the fun...


Bug climbed on Firefly who climbed on Turtle who didn't collapse!


And, you know what?  There was no more perfect "Heavy Work" activity for Firefly than the one her sister invented!  Twenty minutes of fun, play, and heavy duty sensory input had all three kiddos laughing, calm, and ready for settling down into bed.

Thank you, God, for helping my Mommy mouth shut up.

Thank you, God, for a wonderful Turtle and her smarter-than-her-mom sensory brain!

1 comment:

  1. Newest follower from NOBH! Hope you will come over and check us out. I would also like to invite you to my weekly Mom's Library Link-Up. Every Wednesday we share ideas about recipes, crafts, home schooling, devotionals, DIYs, and so much more! I would love for you to add some of your posts!
    Thanks and Be blessed, Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...