"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Something Different...

I am hesitant to talk about this.  I mean, I'm already a homeschooler.  I'm a Christian.  I have a kiddo with special needs that we sometimes have tried to "fix" with diet changes and "alternative medicine".

I know I'm a weirdo.

So, I guess it should come as no surprise to you all that I have officially launched myself into super-weirdo status with a new eating plan.

No meat, no dairy, no animal products.

Yeah.  Told you!

I'm going to start by saying that, between my hubby and I, we have just. about. everything. possible. in our family histories.  Heart disease, strokes, cancer, kidney stones, alcoholism, thyroid disease, Alzheimer's Disease.

And that's just our parents!

So, it makes sense to me that if there is anything we can do to "beat the odds", or to take better care of the bodies we were given, we need to try.

We are both regular exercisers, and we are both healthy weights, and up until now, I thought that would be good enough.

And then I think God started hitting me over the head.

Suddenly, all around me, people were talking about nutrition.  Videos they had watched, books they had read, new diets they were blogging about.

Over and over and over.

So, as is my habit, I decided to investigate for myself.

I knew I wasn't quite ready to do the Netflix video thing.  Hearing about the shows was quite enough, thank you.  But I did decide to check out a book, and the one I started with was Forks Over Knives, edited by Gene Stone.

I'm going to spare you the gory details.  (If you really want them, email me.  I have lots of friends and family who read this who really don't want to know.  I get that!)  But what struck me and stayed with me was the research on the benefits of a plant-based diet, especially when it comes to long-term health.

I was so impressed I was ready to start right then.  But then I remembered that my hubby was going to have to be on board, and he's really pretty sick of all of the radical diets we've tried to help Firefly with. So I was pretty nervous about approaching him with all this stuff.

Within fifteen minutes of us beginning our conversation, he was hooked.

Wow.

Can I just say that again?  Wow.

Now, granted, we had a total binge weekend enjoying some of our all-time favorites (Hurricane wings and loaded fries, anyone?), and he had already had a dinner planned for last night at Ruth Chris Steak House (of all places, right?!), but once we woke up Sunday morning, I have been meat, dairy, and egg free.

AND, I'm actually enjoying what I'm eating!

I have to go cold turkey when I do stuff like this.  Hubby has to take baby steps.  Either way, we are dedicated to taking back our health and fighting our histories as best we can.

I'll keep you posted as we continue on our journey.  I will also post some recipes as soon as I can re-find them on Pinterest.  I'd love to hear some of your ideas as well.

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from Not Your Ordinary Blog Hop. The only thing I would change is to use some of our Thrive food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am breastfeeding and can't have any dairy products! So I can relate to having to go cold turkey! :) I miss cheese the most but have found I can still have a lot of yummy things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...