"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Back to Homeschool Planner Review

Well, we "officially" finished up our school year about a week or two ago.  The kiddos are enjoying some less structured time, the house will soon be enjoying some serious cleaning time, and I am giddily looking forward to our next season.

The rest of my family may recognize it as summer, but, for me, it is "Planning Season".

I will freely admit it.  I am a planning dork.  I am a certifiable, Type A, OCD-like, color-coded mess.  The idea of fresh notebooks, sharpened pencils, and new curriculum makes me over-the-moon happy.  (You can stop reading right now if you are nauseous--wait--don't!  There's actually a really good point to all this...)

So when my friend Misty (at Encouraging Beautiful Motherhood) offered to let me preview her new ebook, Back to Homeschool:  23 Days to Preparing Your Heart, Home, and Homeschool Calendar for Your Best Year Ever!, I immediately signed on.  A new planner?  Be still, my Type A heart!

And it was a perfect fit, although certainly not your typical back-to-school planner.

You see, I think the biggest part of why all of this planning makes me so happy has to do with the "freshness" of it.

It's a brand new school year.

Time to liven things up.

Time to try new things.

Time to make things, you know, better.

Because, truthfully, the last part of our school year left lots to be desired.

Surely a change in our daily routine, or our curriculum, or our schoolroom would make things all bright and shiny again, right?

Enter the book.

Back to Homeschool, again, is not your typical homeschooling planner.  In Misty's encouraging, conversational style, we are prompted, first of all, to start on this journey of getting ready for a new year with God as our partner.  Misty then goes on to helping us make sure that our hearts, our relationship with our husband, and our children's hearts are in the right place.

Umm, yeah.  Somehow those hadn't made it onto my to-do lists.

Oops.

The next section of the book focuses on some "hows" of getting ready for the new year, but also some "whys".  We need to know WHY we homeschool and WHAT goals we have for our family and children, before we can tackle HOW to schedule our days, HOW to plan our meals, and HOW to handle the littles while we are schooling the bigs.

All of these things are addressed in the book, in simple, friend-to-friend writing.  By the time I was done reading, Misty and I were close buddies--at least, I was a big fan.  Misty has been here before.  She has eight children, for Pete's sake.  Seems she might have some "expert" advice here, people.

*wink*

If you're looking for lists--daily scheduling, cleaning tips, things to shop for when beginning the school year, it's in here.

If you're looking for a little more soul-searching encouragement, a little quiet time to reflect on your family, where it's center is and where you want it's center to be, and how to help reach those goals, it's in here.

I was thrilled when she chose me to review her book.

I was blessed when I finished it.

So, go on over to Misty's blog and order a copy for yourself.  You can get it for $4.99.  Truly a bargain!

Disclaimer:  I was provided a copy of the book, Back to Homeschool:  23 Days to Preparing Your Heart, Home, and Homeschool Calendar for Your Best Year Ever! for review purposes.  I did not receive any compensation, and was asked to write the review.  All opinions are mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...