"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Monday, March 26, 2012

One of Those Days...

Ever have one of those days?  You know--nothing--I mean, NOTHING can go right?  Kids squabbling, disobedient, well-planned science projects flopping into mounds of "didn't-learn-anything" mess, unexpected phone calls, planned visits to the doctor taking twice as long as they are supposed to, spills over very important papers that were left unprotected on counters, sensory tantrums extraordinaire?

Yeah, me neither.

Except, of course, for today.

Yikes.

I'm not sure what happened.  We all slept peacefully last night--slept in, even.

I missed my morning workout, but I missed it on purpose.  Enjoyed the extra sleep time.

Woke up happy to bright sunshine.

I had even gone grocery shopping last night, so we had cereal that the kids would eat.  Score!

And then it all came crashing down.  Quickly.  In buckets.

Crying, tantruming, messy, spilling buckets.

Over and over again.

And over.

Again.

So now it's 2:00 and we are left with the aftermath.

Mommy has a whopping sinus headache (and, I'm not going to lie--a sore throat from yelling.  Oops.) with a major side of guilt.

Kiddos are all in their rooms (remember my love of quiet time?  Even more so today.)  Some with tear-stained faces and puffy eyes.

More Mommy guilt.

Important papers are being re-emailed to me.  Phone lady laughed when I told her what happened.  I was not nearly so amused as she was.

What to do to turn this day around?  To turn "what am I doing wrong?" into "how can I make this right?"

I'm pretty sure it involves chocolate.

And hugs.

And snuggling on the sofa.

And, probably, all of those "plans" that I had that went "unplanned" to be thrown out the window.

I think maybe that was what the biggest problem was.  Something kept throwing a monkey wrench into my plans and then things fell apart when I was trying to keep up.

Whose plan was I trying to follow today?  Mine, that's whose.

Whose plan am I supposed to follow?  Yep.  Not mine.

Lord, please help me to stop trying to be the one in charge.  Help me to follow along with your plan for me and our family.  I'm so sorry I thought I could do it on my own.

So now, my remaining twenty (twenty-two, really, but who's counting? Ha!) minutes of quiet time are going to be spent sitting.  And reading.  And getting my head right.  And saying my prayers.

I was too big for my britches this morning and we all paid for it.

Lesson learned.

And then we are going to go eat some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...