"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Friday, December 2, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal. Starting a New Season.




The Homeschool Mother's Journal
in my life this week...we are trying to get back in the swing of things, which, for us, means "back to the craziness"!  Family has left, leftovers are (finally) all eaten, Black Friday shopping has left us broke!  Soccer seasons have begun again for the girls, so our peaceful, free evenings have disappeared, and our busy, freezing our booties off at the soccer field evenings are upon us!  Co-ops and Bible Studies have all begun again as well.

in our homeschool this week...can I get a "yay"!?  We have started "Christmas School"!  Somehow, just giving it that name makes math easier to take.  Hmmm... What it means, though, is that we hit only the basics and then spend lots of time on our Christmas Unit Study and other Christmas Activities.  We're listening to carols, reading stories, wrapping gifts, decorating, making presents, crafting, and on and on and on!  After all, it is the most wonderful time of the year!  (I am physically incapable of saying those words--I always have to sing them!  Anyone with me?)

places we are going and people we are seeing...O.K., is it bad that my kids have spent almost as much time at home this week as they have at the cabinet store and the new house?  We are over at our new homesite daily, watching the progress. THIS week, the kids have met Diego and Pablo, who are doing just a wonderful job tiling our bathrooms!  They have again bugged Mr. Rob at the cabinet store as we picked out bathroom vanities, and they are learning the subtle differences between Youthful Coral and Coral Reef in paint!  And on top of that, we are all learning together how to put together IKEA furniture.  Quite a unit on "Life Skills", huh?
When we are not constructing, (or "supervising"), we have been busy socializing.  This morning was American Girl Book Club, which was our Felicity Tea Party Christmas Event.  Can you say "precious"?

what's working / not working for us...I'm having trouble with finding a good math match for Turtle.  She (and, truthfully, I) hated Saxon so we switched over to Life of Fred.  She loves it, but I am not sold on the "solidness" of the math, so I added Singapore in as well.  We're still struggling, and I find myself longing for the spiral structure of Saxon (look--alliteration!  Ha!)  I mentioned re-starting Saxon to her and--well.can I say that that idea was not met with joy? What are you all using and why do you like it?

things i'm grateful for...good friends.  quiet time (yes, I mention that often!).  Community Bible Study.  the holiday season.  a clean kitchen floor.

what we're praying for...friends' mothers with health concerns.  our troops who have to be away from their families during this holiday season.  their families who have to be without them.  peace in our home.

a photo to share...
watercolor painting in the style of Georgia O'Keefe (really?) from Thursday's co-op.

Hope you all are having a wonderful week.  I am linked up with The Homeschool Mother's Journal, and with Kris from Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

4 comments:

  1. oh I just love the tea party idea (I have two rough boys ... not gonna happen unless its football & pizza - its still time together though - right? )

    Looks like a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrr! Soccer always gets nippy around here in October. I end up packing Hot Cocoa in thermoses and blankets. It's basketball season now...so at least we're inside! LOL

    LOVE the ornaments! Do you have a recipe that you like? I've tried several and they CRUMBLE up on us as they dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Christmas focus! :-) We are really trying to use this Advent season to focus on what is important, so much so, that we are taking a break from the "regular" schoolwork. Your photos are beautiful!

    Visiting from WUH.
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son (almost 10) doesn't like his math either. I have been struggling to find something that works for him, but he is a very hands on child. If I find anything that works I'll let you know. =)

    Thank you for linking up at NOBH.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...