"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Friday, September 9, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up. Week of Bugs, and bugs.




in our homeschool this week . . .I didn't plan for a study of bugs this week, but that seems to be how it's turned out.  First of all, our caterpillars arrived.  We had ordered them a while ago and I had truly forgotten they were coming, and then they appeared.  (I still think it's kind of weird that you can order live caterpillars through the mail.)  And, although I thought this would be just a humdrum type of "interesting for about two minutes and then we're on to other things" project, they have been really, really neat!

The most amazing thing to us was how fast they grew--truly doubling in size daily for at least the first three days!  I guess Eric Carle knew what he was talking about!

And then, of course, when they started spinning their cocoons we were all glued to the glass!  (Even the sweet lady who had come to clean my house, bless her so much, was hanging out to watch!)

They are still cocooned (is that even a word?) as I type this.  I'll keep you posted.



We also had a visit from a friendly centipede this week.  Again, not intentional.  That's what I get for sending Bug out to take the recycling down to the street.  You know how sometimes your kids talk to you and you only half-listen?  (Or is that only me?)  Well, he came in and was chattering away.  I'm ashamed to admit that it took me about ten minutes to realize that he was telling me all about the centipede that he was holding!  (Yep, that's what I get for tuning him out!)

So, attached, find Amos, the centipede, and Bug's rendition of him, drawn right before I convinced him that it was time to let Amos find his family again.

in my life this week . . .Besides being surrounded by human Bugs and bug bugs, you mean?  Well, craziness is the name of the game.  I am overwhelmed by the process of building our house.  Did you know that there are approximately 1,735,000 choices to be made when building a home?  Well, not really, but I feel like I am making that many choices on a daily basis!  Which way should the door open?  What color bathtub do I want?  Where should the air return ducts be placed?  Open stairs or closed?  REALLY?  I'm losing it here, people--quickly!

my favorite thing about this week . . .Watching Firefly proudly display the American Flag at the beginning of our co-op this Thursday.  She's really amazing to me, sometimes.  I never know what kind of day we are going to have, and she could have spent the whole morning clinging to me for dear life (not that she does that at all ; ), and the next thing I know, she's in front of a group, having volunteered herself spontaneously, proudly holding our flag.  Hmmm . . .

places we're going and people we're seeing . . .We are enjoying getting back into a school routine.  This week we were on full force, which meant Classical Conversations Essentials class for Turtle, a new Community Bible Study class for all of us, our History and Science Co-Op, and lots and lots and lots of soccer!

questions / thoughts i have . . .I think I'm being forced into realizing that my to-do list does not always have to be done to ensure that my kiddos are learning.  Some of our best learning experiences this week have come about due to meetings with builders (helping Mom pick out a bathroom sink) or just plain neglect (Bug's centipede dissertation!)  Food for thought.

I am linked up this week with Kris here.  Hope you all had a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. That's homeschool for ya, You never know how it'll turn out. lol It sounds like a super week though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--how our middle son would LOVE this...a week of BUGS !!!
    Thanks so much for sharing...great photos!
    ~Kara @ The Chuppies/NOBH

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...