"From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." Psalm 113:3

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up. Our First Week!


The Homeschool Mother's Journal

in my life this week. . .we are getting back into a routine! *whew* I am way too much of a Type A personality to have so much unstructured time! So I was really thankful for getting back to school / routine / even soccer (did I really just say that?!) Structure makes for a happier Mommy, and we all know what a happy Mommy means, hee hee!








in our homeschool this week . . .we started right in on Day One with our core curriculum, Heart of Dakota (you can find out more about it here). We are using Bigger Hearts for His Glory, and have started in our study of American History with lots of reading and activities about Christopher Columbus. We also started learning about biographies, and did an art lesson about perspective when drawing the ocean. In Bible lessons, we are memorizing some verses from Proverbs, and in Science, Firefly and I are learning about the ocean and seashore life. Here's her first notebooking entry: And, of course, for all of my preschool planning / panicking / questioning, I could not resist having something for Bug to do during school time, so yes, here is our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree: I'm so glad I can't hear you all laughing right now at my obvious lack of artistic ability. (Even Bug resisted when he told me there were no coconuts on it--thanks, kid!) I tried to get Turtle to make it, but she never seemed to get around to it. Hmmm, maybe I should have just blamed this disaster on her anyway.


places we're going and people we're seeing: not nearly as many as we have had invitations for. Seems that although all of our public school friends have been off all summer long, they are only now deciding to get out and about quickly before school starts back up for them next week. So, we have so far not gone: to the pool, to the beach, to mini golf, to the movies. I know, I know, I should have just started school one week later. But did I mention my need for structure? (And, yes, my Type A personality?) However, we did manage to get in a trip to Plaster Palace, a couple of meals out, and we are headed to the pool tomorrow afternoon.

my favorite thing about this week: I'm not going to comment on the routine again. So, I guess my favorite thing can be my re-reading of Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. I'm trying so hard to absorb it all this time around.

questions i have, thoughts i have: Turtle's load is noticeably larger this year. She also is transitioning to being more in charge of it than she has in the past. I'm waiting for the tears and the rebellion. Does anyone have suggestions for helping this transition?

favorite photo, link, or quote for the week: I couldn't resist. This is Bug, who had been hanging just outside his door while waiting for the last five minutes of Quiet Time to end. Seems I didn't make it end quite in time . . .

I'm linked up this week with Kris from weird, unsocialized homeschoolers, and at the Homeschool Mother's Journal. Hope you all are having a tremendous week!

6 comments:

  1. I like your coconut tree:) My daughter has noticed her work load is more than her brother's this year and she is not happy about it:( If you get any great advice pass it on:) Thanks for linking up tot he NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture! My 4 year old son made a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom lapbook this summer. He loves that story and playing with the "toy" I made him. He doesn't even realize he is learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you all are so sweet to love on my pathetic little Boom Boom tree! Our latest struggle is to keep it up on the wall! Nothing will stick to my textured walls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from HSMJ! We are first time homeschoolers and we are also using HOD- Bigger Hearts for His Glory! I love it so far! Enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, stopping by from Homeschooling Bloggers Haven. We're using HOD too. :) I like your chicka chika boom boom tree. What do you do with it...maybe I'll try it if I can motivate myself to make a tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, there, just stopped in from, well FB to be totally honest. I love your school room and your blog too! Don't feel so bad for not accepting the invites. We were actually waiting for ps to start so that we can enjoy the public places again :). We started school 2 weeks ago also, and yes, because of my type A self as well. That anything-goes junk was killing me! I look forward to seeing you guys this year (but no soccer for us this season, they picked karate).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...